Sunday, July 09, 2006

Pete's Confession











In a recent instalment of "In The Attic" the guest lineup included Regina Spektor who performed at the "T In The Park Festival" in Scotland where the Airstream ITA trailer had made a landing. Pete, Rachel, Mikey and Regina talked about the dynamics of music festivals and in particular the sensibilities of audiences in the 60's as opposed to modern day audiences. With an almost confessional like conviction Pete blurts out that all those classic festivals The Who performed at in the 60's/early 70's like Monterey, Woodstock and The Isle Of Wight, two of which I feature in videos below, were personally for him obligatory. The image above is the exact moment Pete (far right) says, "I hated them." His justification is that he feels back in the "hippie days" the people who ran the festivals were "hypocrites," along with the audiences which promulgated the hippie philosophy... hypocritically. My opinion is that Pete believes the British Mod movement, which basically paralleled the American hippie movement back in the late 60's, was the standard. Thus, hippies were a bad and failed imitation of the Mods.

My fascination with Pete saying that he "hated" those festivals is the fact that they are historically "classic" concerts where The Who defined their status as one of the all time super rock groups. Talk about a dichotomy.

4 Comments:

Blogger Metalchick said...

Hi Jeff,
I saw you on Rachel's blog so I thought I'd drop by. I noticed you have a lot of blogs, but I decided to start here. This blog rocks! I'll be sure to check out the videos you've posted here. I have a video blog that has a lot of cool Who videos as well as other stuff. Here's the link http://audioslavewomanvideos.blogspot.com

I don't blame Pete for hating the festivals during the 60's. Some of those hippies were hypocritical. Still, I would have loved to have been there. I heard that at the Monterey Festival, some of the musicians were sitting with the audience when they weren't performing. That is something that I wish musicians could do today, but I know that they can't do it without getting mobbed.

I heard Pete say in an interview that they only did the Mod thing for three months. That was no surprise to me, cause that wasn't what they really were in the first place anyways. I think a lot of musicians will start out as something they are really not, like The Beatles when they dressed as Teddy Boys, and then the matching suits.

Whoa! Looks like my comment got long, but I guess that's a good thing because that means your blog is very interesting and I'd like to add you to my list of bloggers.

Feel free to drop by my blog. That video blog is my second one just for videos.

6:47 PM  
Blogger Unknown said...

Jeff, I got here via Rachel too. I love the vids you have. I love the fact that Pete called the hippies out a bit...I came along a bit late for the hippie scene but still considered myself one...and I was an unabashed hypocrite!!

I digress, good to meet another Who fan and actor (I am washed up!). Stop by some time.

Long Live Rock

Lionel

1:43 PM  
Blogger lryicsgrl said...

Hi Jeff,
Nice to see you back..

Ah, it's not all about peace and love, is it? It's fashion, that is the thing. Look at all the model/rockstar combos there are.

Peace to you

-Sue

5:25 AM  
Blogger MagicMushroom said...

I'm here via Rachel's blog too. You have a great blog here!
xxmaryxx

11:47 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home