Friday, December 30, 2005

Why

My passion for The Who's music isn't remedial in the least. I didn't have some hole in my being that needed to be filled nor was I succumbing to peer pressure. When I heard The Who's "See Me, Feel Me" off the 1969 "Woodstock" movie soundtrack I was literally rocked. I'd never heard such a shameless and fearless sound. My junior high friends and I had already been listening to Jimi Hendrix and a couple other obscure psychedelic bands all the while perfecting our air guitar skills. After listening to Hendrix's "Manic Depression" and "EXP" from the "Axis: Bold As Love" album I was, well... Who the hell needed drugs? But, The Who truly inspired me. As impressionable as the early teens are The Who tattooed themselves into my creative core. Some of their live stuff is unbelievable. The one example that no one can refute is "Sparks" from the "Live At Leeds" album. Townshend performs a break that does nothing less than give me goose bumps. Most of the time I'm compelled to play it back a couple times just to savour the sound of that intense chord change. I can't help but imagine Townshend's performance as I listen to it and pine that someday a special surprise edition "Live At Leeds" DVD will be released!

Obviously my discussing The Who is basically rehashing history. I listen to current rock bands who I probably could speak just as passionately about but The Who were the first as far as I'm concerned. The first to perform maximum R&B on a level that could not be ignored.

I'll be posting a Vlog soon as sort of my mini tribute to The Who. Hopefully I'll capture the essence of why I have such an affinity for this group.

HAPPY NEW YEAR!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home