Friday, December 30, 2005

The Ox met me

In 1997 I toured Germany and parts of Switzerland for six months performing the role of Peron in "Evita." The Who were also touring Europe at the same time performing "Quadrophenia." While "Evita" was in Zurich The Who thundered into town to do one night at Hallenstadion. Unfortunately I had a show that night and couldn't attend. I even tried to convince the stage manager to put on my understudy but the attempt was futile. So, as I'm singing "Diamond" The Who are performing "The Rock" at about the same time. Symbiotic, man.

It so happened that the actress playing Evita had a cousin who was actually in the brass section backing up The Who. He told her that most everybody from the Who Tour was staying at the same hotel as the "Evita" company. Obviously I made it down to the hotel bar after my show the night The Who played. Sure enough there was John Entwistle, affectionately nicknamed "The Ox" by his fellow band mates because of his laid back yet dependable presence on stage. He was sitting at a table with Zach Starkey and a couple other tour musicians. I was introduced to John as one of the stars of "Evita" which didn't seem to impress him at all. But, after making small talk about the tour he whips out a picture of his rottweilers sitting in the back of a pickup. He told me their names, ages and where his farm was. As he mostly answered my questions about Leeds and Woodstock he was gracious, humble and a tad bit hard of hearing. Since we were in a bar I did have to raise my voice that much more. While I was talking with Entwistle I noticed Daltry walking through the lobby making a bee line for the elevators. I kept looking for Townshend but never saw him. I was told by a reliable source that he wasn't staying at the hotel.

I have wonderful memories from the "Evita" tour but the conversation I had with Entwistle over snifters of cognac stands out from them all.

3 Comments:

Blogger Gary said...

I have heard so many lovely stories about John Entwistle. Every one of them has a familiar theme, of how nice and humble he was. I went too soon.

Thanks for the great story.

7:59 AM  
Blogger Gary said...

mean't to say "he" went too soon.

8:00 AM  
Blogger Mike S said...

Jeff,

Fantastic Story about John,glad
you got to meet him.I cherish
the times we met and talked.
What a gentle and kind human.
I miss the Ox terribly but his
music lives on.

5:32 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home