Wednesday, December 28, 2005

Almost got

In 1992 I auditioned in Los Angeles for the La Jolla Playhouse production of "The Who's Tommy" which was to be the pre-Broadway run. Needless to say my affinity for "Tommy" made it a priority that I get hired. At the first audition I sang "Behind Blue Eyes" for the casting director. He was impressed and gushed with encouragement. I returned a couple days later for my first call-back with the director, Des McAnuff. I sang "Behind Blue Eyes" again. Des gave me another call-back on the spot and asked me to prepare "Go To The Mirror Boy" which is the Doctor's song. So, at this point I've impressed the director enough to not only come back but now I'm up for a specific role. Very cool.

I come back the next day and start in with "
He seems to be completely unreceptive... " only I'm singing the movie melody instead of the original concept album melody. In 1975 there was an embarrassing movie version of "Tommy" starring Roger Daltry. This is a whole other discussion but... Why Pete? Why? If that movie was never made I would have never sang the wrong melody. But, back to the audition... So, after I realized that I was singing from the movie I stopped myself and said, "I can't believe I'm singing the movie version. Didn't Jack Nicholson (The movie Doctor) make up that melody?" Des chuckled and said, "Yeah, we're not doing that version." I quickly regrouped and sang from the original. Afterwards Des told me that he thought it was cool that I knew both versions. I took that as a cue to explain to him my passion for Pete Townshend's music and that no matter what happens with the audition I was excited that he was creating a definitive stage version. I also mentioned seeing "Tommy" at the then Aquarius Theatre in Hollywood in 1972 starring Ted Neeley and how I thought it was another misguided attempt at capturing the power and mystery of the piece. Des said he heard about that production and said it was "unfortunate."

On my way home I replayed the symbiotic conversation Des and I had in my head. I felt I should be getting a call any day to offer me the Doctor role.

I never heard a thing.

Fast forward...

I went down to see the La Jolla production and it turned out they hired a black actor to play the Doctor. He was very good. I then saw the Broadway and the tour productions the following year. Clean and loud, the way it should be.

What can I say... I love the music.

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

sounds good there jeff

6:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home